Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Greatest Day


Today I want to write about the greatest day. It is the day my beautiful baby girl was born. It all started Friday night September 8th when we left grandma's house. I noticed that my back was starting to hurt a little, but I thought it was just from sitting in a weird position while working on the computer. Daddy and I came home and I took a shower then had a slice of pizza. At about 12:00am, I started feeling some pains not only in my back, but in my stomach as well. I started thinking that these might be contractions. They started getting much stronger, so I went downstairs to get daddy. I told him that I think these are the real contractions, but I don't want to go to the hospital until I am sure I can't take the pain. Well, that lasted about 10 minutes, because before I knew it we were in the car on the way. The contractions were coming evey 45 sec to a minute on the way and all I could do to not scream my head off was put makeup on so I didn't look quite so scary. It helped me take my mind off the pain for a second or two. When we pulled up to the hospital it was 12:55am. It took about 15minutes of pure agony in the waiting room for them to get a room ready.
Finally, in we went and the nurse checked me. At that point I was only 3-4 centimeters dilated. Soon after grandma, grandpa, Aunt Cici, and Aunt Heidi came to see how we were doing. Needless to say, we weren't doing all that peachy:) The back pain continued to get worse as the nurse asked a bazillion questions. Next thing I knew I felt really sick. Daddy grabbed the trash can and up came to pizza. Not a fun start. Once that was over I could concentrate only on how bad my back felt. But before I knew it, my water broke all over the table. Now that was an experience I wasn't prepared for. Luckilly, the water was clear which was a good sign.
I continued to tell them that the pain was getting worse and that you were getting ready to join us, but they didn't seem to believe me. I guess because I was only 4 cm and being a first time mom they expected you to take a long time. At about 2:30 they moved me into the labor and delivery room where I would be giving birth. It was the longest walk of my life. I had to stop every few steps because the pain was so bad. Once we got there I asked the nurse, when can I get the epidural. I really need it now. She said well, we will check you when we get settled and then we'll go from there. Fine I thought. So 20 minutes later when we got "settled" she checked us and we were 8-9 cm. She quickly put a rush on the epidural. She didn't think I would go that fast, and heaven forbid she believe me when I said you were coming. The Dr. came with the epidural and finally I could enjoy the experience a little.
Dr. Ronlov came in at about 3:30 and had me push a little to see where we were at and we weren't quite ready then, so he left and I continued to practice pushing with the nurses. The epidural was great, but I could still feel a lot of the pressure. At about 4:30 Dr. Ronlov came back with a team of nurses and they noticed that your heart rate was dropping a little and they wanted to keep an eye on it. We started to seriously push, which has been the hardest thing I've ever done. You decided that you didn't really want to come, so they kept switching me around from side to side to push. Nothing would get you moving very well, until Dr. Ronlov pulled out the vacuum. He said we needed to help you a little and so on went the suction. He was pulling and I was pushing. Before I knew it, at 5:10 am they said "Look down, and grab your baby." I couldn't believe it. I reached down and pulled you all the way out and laid you right on top of me. It was the best feeling in the world. I didn't remember or feel any pain after that moment. I couldn't believe that you were actually here and that I had just given birth to the most beautiful thing in the world. Daddy and I both had tears in our eyes and aunt heidi was there to help us get through it all.
They cleaned you off, then took you to get weighed and check you over. You were PERFECT. 8lbs, 6oz 21 inches long and very alert. They brought you back and I didn't want to let you go. I instantly knew that my life would never be the same and it would now be better than it had ever been. I was officially the luckiest person in the world. Everyone came to the hospital to welcome you to the world. That is the greatest day of my life (so far). :) Welcome baby Kendyl Elaine Sumlin... you are and will be loved unconditionally forever.